Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Kansas City ,MO

How to Verify a Professional's License in Kansas City?

Professionals in Kansas City are typically required to undergo licensing and registration at either the state or city level, depending on their specific occupation. At the state level, the Missouri Division of Professional Registration (DOPR) licenses and regulates more than 40 types of Kansas City professionals, including engineers, architects, and interior designers. Likewise, professionals like plumbers, electricians, HVACR contractors, and building contractors, are required to obtain city-issued licenses from the Kansas City Planning and Development Department. It is important that you always hire a professional that has been licensed by the appropriate agency. You can verify the state or city level licensing status of professionals in Kansas City online via the DOPR's licensee search and the city's find KCMO licensed contractors portals respectively.

In addition to licensing qualified professionals in the city, the Kansas City Planning and Development Department also issues permits for construction and building-related projects. If your reason for retaining the services of a professional is to handle projects that fall into this category, or if you are unsure whether or not your project requires a city-issued permit, then you can contact this department at (816) 513-1500 or via email to make further inquiries. You can also contact your local neighborhood group for additional location-specific information that may be relevant to your project.

Missouri Contractor License Search:

Do Kansas City Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Kansas City has several neighborhood groups that involve residents of the city uniting to tackle a variety of matters, ranging from crime prevention and neighborhood safety to neighborhood beautification and cleanup. These neighborhood groups typically work directly with the city's Neighborhoods and Community Services Department to enhance the quality of life and livability of their different neighborhoods through a variety of city-wide programs. However, these groups are not authorized to issue permits for construction and building-related projects. On the other hand, while the Neighborhoods and Community Services Department does not issue construction and building-related permits, it issues permits and licenses for alcohol-related and other similarly regulated events and businesses. You can find out the registered neighborhood groups in your area online via the neighborhood group search portal. You can also request additional information on Kansas City neighborhood groups by calling the city's Neighborhood Support Services Division at (816) 513-3036.

In August 2021, the Downtown Neighborhood Association organized a scavenger bingo hunt to celebrate the city's 816 Day holiday, with participating businesses offering $8.16 specials as part of the celebration. Later that month, it was reported that members of the Northland Parent Association had filed a lawsuit against several school districts, boards, and municipalities aimed at ending the city's mask mandate for children and allowing families to choose what they deem best for their children.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Kansas City?

The Missouri Attorney General's Office is tasked with protecting residents of Kansas City from unscrupulous businesses and professionals. You can file unfair business complaints with this office online or by mailing a consumer complaint form to

  • Missouri Attorney General's Office
  • Consumer Protection Unit
  • P.O. Box 899
  • Jefferson City, MO 65102

It is advisable to include copies of important documents that indicate that a transaction occurred between you and the business or professional in question when your complaint. Queries concerning how to file a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General's Office can be directed to (800) 392-8222. You can also contact the Attorney General's Kansas City regional office with your queries at:

  • 615 E. 13th Street
  • Suite 401
  • Kansas City, MO 64106
  • Phone: (816) 889-5000

Depending on the nature of the complaint, this office may either provide mediation options between you and the business or professional in question or file criminal charges and civil lawsuits against this business or professional. While this may result in restitution for you, this outcome is not always guaranteed. Therefore, it is advisable to also contact a private attorney to ensure that you pursue all available legal avenues for seeking personal remedies from the business or professional. This typically involves filing a civil lawsuit with the 16th Circuit Court of Jackson County. You can utilize the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association's KC lawyer finder webpage to get referrals to local Kansas City attorneys near you.

Professions in Kansas City